About Fred Gordy: Fred Gordy is a pioneering figure in the SmartBuilding industry, with two decades of expertise in developing and implementing secure control systems for Fortune 500 companies across the globe. A trailblazer in addressing the inherent cybersecurity risks posed by control system technology, he has authored over 100 articles on building control cybersecurity, with his insights featured in prominent publications like the Wall Street Journal, CNBC, and healthcare journals. Fred's extensive knowledge and commitment to the field have led him to develop cutting-edge control system cybersecurity assessment methodologies and tools, while also serving as a technical advisor on various industry boards and holding multiple certifications in control technology.
In this episode, Aaron and Fred Gordy discuss:
- The critical intersection of convenience and cybersecurity in modern infrastructure and control systems
- Building cybersecurity certifications and their impact on commercial real estate
- Overcoming cultural barriers in implementing cybersecurity measures for critical infrastructure
- The importance of people-centered approaches in business and cybersecurity
- In the ever-evolving world of technology and cybersecurity, the importance of resilience and adaptability shines through, reminding us that regardless of the specifics, whether it's elevators, critical infrastructure, or complex IT systems, preparedness and proactive action matter most when unexpected challenges arise.
- Achieving bronze, silver, or gold certification levels is all about tailoring your security measures to the criticality of your building, ensuring that you're prepared to safeguard your occupants and assets accordingly, whether you're running a standard commercial office space or housing national security agencies.
- In building cybersecurity, addressing the foundational questions of what you have, how it's connected, and who has access is crucial to building trust and resilience, even if it means challenging established cultural norms and embracing new technologies.
- Embrace the power of compromise and understanding, for it's not about being right or wrong, but about collectively navigating the complex landscape to reach our desired destination, one step at a time, even as new technological challenges loom on the horizon.
"In the IT world, everything is CIA: confidentiality, integrity, and availability. In our world, you know, availability's number one. So confidentiality was never taken into account. So now you've got all of these systems being connected together as highly available as possible." — Fred Gordy
Connect with Fred Gordy:
Connect with Aaron:
Learn more about Industrial Defender: